Awake

-Are you a God?
- they asked the Buddha.
- No.
- Are you an angel, then?
- No.
- A saint?
- No.
- Then what are you?
-
I am AWAKE.



Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure of
the universe"-Albert Einstein-


Om Mani Padme Hum

Matthew 25:40

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 7 1-6


1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4. Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5. Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Betting on the Kentucky Derby

I was telling a friend how I bet on the race, and he thought it would make a good post. So here it goes.







Truthfully I wasn't even aware the race was on, (no reference to George Jones), until my sister mentioned that she'd bet. Then my mother called a friend and asked her to bet for her. I don't really gamble any more after quitting in '79, except for a couple slips here and there. But I figured why not?  Just a few bucks, if I lose, which I will, no big deal. So I went on line to my Twinspires account, made a deposit, and took a look at who's running. Then I looked at who the 5 touts were recommending. I had a brilliant idea. I listed the horses the touts were recommending. Then I put the number of touts that had recommended it next to each horse. That's my brilliant idea, my "system."  I put $20. to win on the three with the biggest number of touts, numbers 1, 16, and 10.  Then reading several other sites talking about the race and the bad rain and thunderstorms they were expecting on race day, I went back to my list and checked off all the horses that were good in the mud. Those were numbers 10, 11, 4, and 14. I wasn't looking at the whole field, just the horses recommended by the touts.  So then I placed  $20. to place on each of these, then wanting to be fair, I bet another $20. to place on 1 and 16. Finished I'd bet 180. on six horses, three to Win and Place, three Place only. Hindsight being 20/20 I now know I should have bet Show instead of Place, or maybe bet Win/Place/Show... But anyway the race came, and 4 Supersaver won, and was one of the Place bets, 10 Paddy O'Prado came in 3rd which if I'd bet Win/Show instead of Win & Place, would have paid off too. But, as it turned out I won $88. on Supersaver, and that was pretty good. We won't talk about the $92. I lost....  I'm A Winner!!!, (no reference to Bobby Bare either)

Lee Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment