Awake

-Are you a God?
- they asked the Buddha.
- No.
- Are you an angel, then?
- No.
- A saint?
- No.
- Then what are you?
-
I am AWAKE.



Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure of
the universe"-Albert Einstein-


Om Mani Padme Hum

Matthew 25:40

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 7 1-6


1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4. Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5. Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bitter Melon an Herbal Treatment for Diabetes? Other Things?

I went to the Dr. again today. The GP in Waterville. Saw the practicing nurse and was told I am diabetic, that at the last fasting blood test my glucose level was 160, and the normal level is 100 or less preferably. She told me 80-100 is normal and getting to 100 would be great. They gave me a meter and after I got home I tested myself and got three readings the first two were 298 then about an hour later 303. I checked again 4 hours later after eating dinner and it was 230. I went online and found there that 70-110 is considered normal, with after dinner spikes up to 135-140.  However you look at it I may actually have a problem.  I've also been told that diabetes may also present some or all of the symptoms I've been having, or not...  She told me they want me to work on diet and exercise before they consider prescribing medication.

For those interested, I also discovered online several herbs that are reputed to help with diabetes, among them are garlic and cinnamon which I've already been taking for the last month or so to help with blood thinning. The other is called Bitter Mellon, and is alleged to be very effective in lowering blood sugar levels, and promoting insulin production. I've attached an article below. But for more info check out the links at the end or google bitter melon....  I think I'm going to try it, as well as reducing or giving up sugar and salt and improving my diet, giving up Pepsi, bacon, all the good stuff... God I hate that part. What am I going to eat and drink?

Lee Murray

Bitter Melon and Diabetes


Bitter Melon’s powerful insulin lowering properties are currently being looked at as an effective treatment for Diabetes. Studies suggest that Bitter Melon may play a role in controlling the production of insulin by the body, thus promoting blood sugar control. The hypoglycemic effect is more pronounced in the fruit of Bitter Melon where these chemicals are found in the highest quantity. Some of the documented studies show this bitter gourd to enhance cells’ uptake of glucose, to promote insulin release, and to make the effect of insulin more potent. Some even document Bitter Melon’s effect on total cholesterol reduction.
Scientists, natural health practitioners, and others are now focusing on the beneficial properties of this gourd with promising returns. In Ayurvedic medicine, Bitter Melon is seen as a “plant-insulin”, and some studies show that, if administered correctly, it can behave similarly to slow-acting animal insulins which represents exciting potential for a more sustainable, vegetarian, source of insulin. It is not, however, advisable to substitute eating Bitter Melon for taking insulin.
In India, for example, some doctors are so confident about the anti-diabetic effect of Bitter Melon that it is sometimes dispensed in hospitals to people suffering from diabetes. Additionally, the department of Health in the Philippines has recommended Bitter Melon as one of the best herbal medicines for treating diabetes.
There are three groups of compounds in Bitter Melon that scientists have found to be responsible for its blood sugar lowering action:
Charantin: a compound of mixed steroids that has been found to be more effective than one oral hypoglycaemic drug, Tolbutamide.
Polypeptide P: An insuline-like plypeptide which appears to lower blood sugar in type I diabetics. Alkaloids present in the bitter gourd are also noted to have blood sugar lowering effects but researchers are not yet clear on which of the compounds is most effective or if it is the combination of all of them which cuase this effect.
Oleanolic Acid Glycosides: These compounds have been found to improve glucose tolerance in Type II diabetics by preventing the absorption of sugar from the intestines. Biter Melon has also been linked to effects of increasing the number of beta cells in the pancreas as well, and as a result improving the body’s capability to produce insulin.
The statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The information contained in this plant database file is intended for education, entertainment and information purposes only. This information is not intended to be used to diagnose, prescribe or replace proper medical care. The plant described herein is not intended to treat, cure, diagnose, mitigate or prevent any disease.
Sources:
http://www.rain-tree.com
http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk (reference 1)
http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk (reference 2)
http://en.wikipedia.org/
http://content.nhiondemand.com

No comments:

Post a Comment