Awake

-Are you a God?
- they asked the Buddha.
- No.
- Are you an angel, then?
- No.
- A saint?
- No.
- Then what are you?
-
I am AWAKE.



Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure of
the universe"-Albert Einstein-


Om Mani Padme Hum

Matthew 25:40

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 7 1-6


1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4. Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5. Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Napoleon Hill - Advanced Thinker - Before His Time

Recently I did a post on Napoleon Hill on my other blog, Lee Sells Rascals and Other Stuff. In that one I focused on how Mr. Hill benefits those of us in sales. That he is if not the first motivational author, he's one of the first. The focus of Think and Grow Rich, his best known book written in 1937 and selling to date something like 80 million copies, and others like The Law of Success written in 1925, is ostensibly making money and getting rich. Surprise!!!!
I hadn't read Mr Hill for awhile, so being in sales and always needing motivation, I decided to re-read Think and Grow Rich, and yes the focus is making lots of money, on the surface. But underneath, it's much deeper, showing that Mr. Hill was indeed ahead of his time.  To begin with let's realize that while Mr. Hill uses the word money, lots of money as the goal, I think he could as easily use the word success, most of us when we say we want to be rich, we mean successful. That's in general how most of us keep score, broke is unsuccessful, rich is successful, and most of us fall somewhere in the middle. Most of us would like to be more successful. But, how?  Mr. Hill gives lots of pointers, and yes some are dated but others aren't, and even those that are make you think and who know's thinking may point you in a direction that nobody else, maybe even Mr. Hill, thought of.
A quick aside, personally my best years income, or most successful year, so far, has been an income of eighty-some thousand, gross before taxes. All my life I wanted to make that kind of money, or told myself I did, but was I happy? No, all I could think of was how was I going to pay the taxes. Clearly I was not ready even for riches on that modest scale, it scared me, as it would about 99.9% us. Since then through no effort on my part, my income has dropped, and yes it's annoying because I keep thinking and comparing to the good year, I'm working as hard and making less, but at the same time I'm not scared because I'm back in my comfort zone. What that tells me is, since I'm hardly unique, that unlimited success, and/or riches are not for everybody. For whatever reason it didn't suit me then, maybe many if not most of the average guys and gals would feel the same, fear instead of joy. Weird huh?
The answer I think is to plan for it. Mr Hill advocates organizing  and directing knowledge. Using a plan of action, with a definite end in mind you state where you want to go and how you plan on getting there.  The six steps he came up with, using faith to turn it over to the subconcious mind, are briefly:
1. Fix in your mind the exact type or level of success, that you want.
2. Decide exactly what you'll give in return for that success.
3. Decide on an exact date to achieve the success.
4. Create a definite plan for achieving the desired success.
5. Write a concise and clear statement of the type and level of success you intend to achieve, the time limit to achieve it, what you're willing to give to get it, and your plan of getting there in detail.
6. Read the statement aloud twice every day. When you get up in the morning and before going to bed at night.
Important: As you read you must see, feel, and believe that you're already successful.  Mr Hill believes that it's a burning desire, for wealth, or success, that achieves it, desire on the level of obsession. Following his six steps, in particular the 6th and see yourself as successful, impossible as that may seem, will create that desire, that obsession, to the point you have no problem seeing yourself as rich and successful.
Maybe by following the steps and desiring wealth and success obssesively would make me, and others who are average, think we deserve it and eliminate the fear of success....

Lee Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment