Awake

-Are you a God?
- they asked the Buddha.
- No.
- Are you an angel, then?
- No.
- A saint?
- No.
- Then what are you?
-
I am AWAKE.



Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure of
the universe"-Albert Einstein-


Om Mani Padme Hum

Matthew 25:40

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 7 1-6


1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4. Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5. Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Movie San Francisco Almost a Time Machine

Actual San Francisco Earthquake Aftermath 1906
Watching the movie San Francisco made in 1936 with Clark Gable, Jeanette McDonald, Spencer Tracy, and a cast of thousands, or at least it seemed that way.  The movie is a drama, typical of 99.9% of dramas made in the movies or on tv for that matter, boy meets girl, boy gets girl, boy acts stupid, boy loses girl. Let me say right here that I don't care for female operatic singing, those high screeching voices make my hair stand up, so I didn't watch it for that, and although I tolerated Ms McDonalds voice I didn't completely hate it.  Anyway, you can ignore most of the movie up through the Chicken Ball. As regards the time machine yes it shows how people looked, dressed and lived in 1906. I don't remember seeing one car, lots of horses and wagon's of various types, but not one car. The movie was made just 30 years after  so it would be kind of like a movie depicting life in 1980 for us, lots of people that knew exactly how it would have been, what it looked like, even clothes in their closets from that time. I still have clothes from the 70's and 80's, I don't wear but I could and I figure these people back then watching the movie and making it probably did too, the point being that because there were so many around that would know, it would have been pretty close authentically. It wasn't really that different in the 30's than 30 years before, just like it's really not that much different in 2010 than it was in 1980, some of course, but not that much.
Where the time machine comes into play is the end of the movie when the earthquake hits. The first thing we see is in a club, after the Chicken Ball, the quake hits, people get this look on their faces, we look up and the ceiling cracks and a big chandelier drops. The people start running and the building comes down on them. We see Clark Gable dive under a table just as a brick wall collapses on him. Ouside buildings are collapsing the ground is splitting, water mains are gushing, fires are burning. It probably is as close to seeing the real San Francisco earthquake really happen as we now will come. For all we know, people that made this movie may have been there, who knows?    I'm from California, and going back, so I've been through relatively minor quakes, But this was interesting and as close to being in a real earthquake as I want to get.

 

This is a video of part of the earthquake scenes from the movie San Francisco. Below are two contemporary movies, silent of course  of the actual 1906 San Francisco earthquake and the aftermath.




Lee Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment