Awake

-Are you a God?
- they asked the Buddha.
- No.
- Are you an angel, then?
- No.
- A saint?
- No.
- Then what are you?
-
I am AWAKE.



Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure of
the universe"-Albert Einstein-


Om Mani Padme Hum

Matthew 25:40

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 7 1-6


1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4. Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5. Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Is there a difference between ruminating and cogitating?

I found this question on Yahoo Answers and have had several people ask about the title of my blog.  I liked this and thought I'd post it as a sort of partial answer. I removed all names and any reference to the people who asked or answered leaving just the question and the best answer according to the person who asked the question. Enjoy...

Lee Murray
This picture has little or nothing to do with the post, I just like it...

Is there a difference between ruminating and cogitating?

Is one form of thinking more active than the other (is one more passive)? Thanks.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

The rumen is a part of the stomach in grass-eating animals such as cows and pigs. It's where fermenting of cud happens. "Ruminate" in an agricultural sense means "digest cud". I think it was Shakespeare who first used this as a metaphor for thinking over a really difficult decision - "chewing your cud" is also used in this way.

While 'ruminate' doesn't linguistically have anything to do with thinking, 'cogitate' does. It comes from the Latin 'cogere', meaning to think. So cogitating is just a fancy word for thinking. I don't think either is a 'passive' exercise, I think that both these words mean you're thinking very actively and carefully about something (but maybe 'ruminate' refers to reflecting deeply over a decision you might have to make, rather than just thinking about an intellectual or philosophical problem).

No comments:

Post a Comment